Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Bonnaroo Tips and Knowledge

Hey everybody, I'm Andy and in this series of blog posts I want to share my Bonnaroo experience from last week. It was Bonnaroo 2012, June 7th- 10th.  Friends and Family are going to want to hear about it, and what I can tell them won't really do it justice.  I can share more in writing.  This is the full story, or what I can recall of the full story.  Kicking off this blog is a rendition of Bonnaroo for first timers, tips and tricks.  Hopefully those who have considered going will take a week and make the journey.

Before I left, I was down on Elmwood in Buffalo playing frisbee and walking around, I went into a bar on the corner of Elm and Bidwell for a drink with a couple of my roommates, Keith and Mike.  We started chatting with the bartender and it came up that he had gone to Bonnaroo from the second one til the sixth one, he didn't remember what years they were, just which Bonnaroo they were.  From that, you can figure out which years he went, if you want.  He gave us two pieces of advice...bring shade, and spend the money to take a shower.  It costs $7, but it will be the best $7 you spend at Bonnaroo.  I took half of the advice and others did take it all.  We ended up bringing extra tarps and an easy up.  Definitely a good decision.  The sun comes up, and it gets hot fast.  I never took a shower, but there are other ways to be clean, I will share very soon.  Keith did take a shower and he said he felt so good after it.  Bonnaroo gives you a good list of things to bring, but there are definitely other things that should be brought as well, here is my checklist:

Shade (i.e. tarps, easy up)
Flashlight
Hand Sanitizer
Baby Wipes (this is how I kept clean. Every morning I would wipe down my feet, legs, arms, chest, face, and anywhere else that I could reach.  It felt awesome all the same)
Stakes could be useful
A flag or marker to put high in the sky
If you plan on going to tent city, bring a wagon, or definitely pack light. It's a lot of walking.
Flashlights are useful
I would highly recommend bringing a CamelBack or something similar. It's just convenient.
Baby Powder (helps prevent chaffing)

These are a few things that I can think of that would be totally useful.

There is a lot at Bonnaroo to do, don't try to do it all.  You will tire yourself out and not make it to the late night awesomeness.  I recommend taking breaks to recharge to go strong and listen to the most music possible.  If there is a time where you don't REALLY want to see a band, just wander around.  Check out all the music and people watch.  Maybe join a hackey circle.  Take it all in.  There are a few places I never made it to, but I did a lot.  I never went to Splash-a-roo, the Cinema tent, Comedy Tent, or the Adult Swim area.  Don't be afraid to wander around by yourself.  If you know other friends at Bonnaroo, go visit them.  The areas of Bonnaroo are very similar, but very different also.  Each area tends to have their own personality.  Remember, it's your Bonnaroo, it's going to be awesome.  This is just some simple advice, take it or leave it, my feelings aren't hurt.  It's a you-do-you society.  In the rest of this, I will breakdown each day. Don't read it, read bits and pieces, it's up to you, I'm just hoping to save my breath.  Some may be boring, but I hope not. My journey started Tuesday around 10:30 a.m. and ended the next Tuesday at 4 a.m. It's a long journey and a lot to share.  Alright, Ready. Set. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment